‘Weekly’ Media Roundup (Sep 9th – Sep 25th)
Well, that ‘week’ got away from me. I’ve been busy decluttering, but I have consumed lots of great information. I especially like some of the nutrition podcasts I list below.
- Singularity 1 on 1 – BioViva CEO Liz Parrish: Gene Therapy is NOT a Monstrous Science
- Gene Therapy is about to take the world by storm, and it’s effects will be tremendous.
- Technical Disclosure Commons – Google Votes: A Liquid Democracy Experiment on a Corporate Social Network
Liquid democracy allows direct democracy, where everyone can vote, but also allows you to delegate your vote to someone else you trust (for cases where you don’t care or are uninformed, but trust someone else)
- BBC – New human-like species discovered in S Africa
- Not only a new species, but among the most complete skeletons found of early homonids. Take that Young Earth Creationists!
- dev-human – Things I was unprepared for as a lead developer
- Interesting list of things to expect when (if) you get promoted into management
- Matthias Felleisen – Growing a Programmer
- Traditional university curriculums focus on teaching languages and algorithms and data structures, with little emphasis on how to design and maintain large programs. Let’s flip that script.
- Jeff Knupp – How ‘DevOps’ is Killing the Developer
- Stop trying to make software developers into general purpose tech workers. This might work for startups, but developers like to, you know, develop.
- Sam Altman – Stupid Apps and Changing the World
- Sometimes world changing apps look like toys at first. Keep on doing what you think is important.
- Question of the Day – What Makes Messi Messy (or Vice Versa)?
- James Altucher got rid of everything in his house. Does he regret it?
- Home Storage Solutions 101 – Clutter Busters: 6 Emotions Chaining You To Clutter & How To Break Free
- Often we make excuses to hold on to our shit. Here are some ways to bust those excuses.
- Home Storage Solutions 101 – Declutter Musical Instruments
- How can you get rid of that clarinet sitting in the closet?
- James Altucher – Why Do Some People Always(!) Succeed In Life?
- I like this one. Aliens!
- Sigma Nutrition – Dr Jason Fung: Obesity: Calories, Hormones or Both?
- This episode was pivotal in my current thinking. I’ve listened to it twice, as well as the follow up…
- Sigma Nutrition – What Drives Fat Gain? – Thoughs on CICO, Insulin & Obesity
- I love that this podcast seems to be pretty “level headed” and really based in the research. Anything that is extreme is looked at with caution, and the “one size fits all” approach is viewed skeptically. Props to Danny Lennon, I’ll be listening to more for sure.
- Healthy Food House – They Said That Drinking Lemon Water In The Morning Is Good For You. Here Is What They Didn’t Tell You
- TL;DR: Start drinking a glass of lemon water every morning
- Danny Lennon – Is Your Low-Carb, My Low-Carb?
- No one seems to agree on what low carb actually means. What should it mean?
- Dr. Jason Fung – Why Can’t I Lose Weight?
- This is one article from an extremely informative series on fasting. According to Dr. Fung, fasting (in any of several forms – Leangains, Eat Stop Eat, two weeks, etc) is important if you have built up insulin resistance over time, and can help your body reset itself and drop excess fat. Read this again!
- Flowing Data – Years You Have Left to Live, Probably
- Over 95% chance that I’ll live another 20 years? Sweet. Of course, this is totally wrong if you believe in the Singularity.