Weekly Media Roundup (June 27th – July 3rd)
- Cheryl Strayed – Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
- Amazing story of a woman’s solo trek up the PCT. Interesting parallel to Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods (about the AT), and the subject of a movie I hope to watch tonight…
- Singularity 1 On 1 – Aubrey de Grey’s Singularity Podcast: Longevity Escape Velocity May Be Closer Than We Think
- The goal isn’t immortality. The goal is eliminating the disease of aging.
- Motherboard – University Students Made a Working Model Hyperloop
- With several projects in the works to make a prototype, these students made a small model of a hyperloop, minus the vacuum and magnetic bearings. Interesting step towards a proof of concept.
- LA Review of Books – The Economics of Mad Max and Star Trek by Tom Streithorst
- A Max Max/Star Trek combination dystopia may be in our future unless we curb the problem of the 1%
- James Altucher – David Bach: How to Live Your Best Life
- Martin Fowler – MicroservicePremium
- Microservices are the new hotness in development, but beware – they come with a high cost of complexity
- Kalzumeus – Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names
- Everyone has a name… right?!?
- Infinite Undo! – Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Time
- A minute can’t be longer than an hour… right?!?
- SockPuppet – The Hiring Post
- Most tech interviews are bad. Here are some ideas for making them better.
- Vincent Driessen – A Successful Git Branching Model
- The popular GitFlow branching model, defined
- End Of Line – GitFlow Considered Harmful
- A controversial, and simpler, workflow for Git
- Transforming Adjustments – 4 Principles Of Healthy Relationships That Will Make You More Successful
- A nice overview of some of the more important social skills
- Happier w/Gretchen Rubin – Podcast: Make Your Bed, Resist the Evil Donut-Bringer, and Take a Hike.
- I just learned about this podcast, and stormed through it. This was one episode of the first six – including tips to resist the nice person at work who thinks you want donuts – but the other episodes are golden as well. I’ll be adding this to my rotation.
- James Altucher – Jack Canfield: Success in the Face of Obstacles
- I love hearing about how Canfield taught inner city kids that they needed to accept life as it was… before they could go about improving it.
- Quora – Has anyone achieved anything by reading self-improvement articles/books?
- Avoid the articles that are shallow, take action on what you learn, and be aware that the keys to success are subject to survivor bias.
- Sigma Nutrition – Dr. Nicole Avena: The Neuroscience of Sugar Addiction & Hedonic Eating
- Sugar addiction is real – but you can’t stop eating food cold turkey. Try reducing trouble foods one at a time. Listen to this again.