Weekly Media Roundup (May 20-30)
Normally I use this spot to discuss media I recommend and want to share. Today I want to include something a little different: a warning.
This week I listened to Dan Millman’s Way of the Peaceful Warrior. I’d seen this book recommended in several best of lists, and it has high reviews. I spent 5 hours listening to the story, over the course of several commutes.
In the book, Millman describes his (somewhat fictionalized) encounter with an enigmatic teacher who displays, at times, apparently supernatural powers, both mental and physical. The book covers several years of the narrator’s life, documenting his journey through physical trials and personal improvement lessons.
Usually if I read or listen to something that doesn’t resonate with me, I just leave it alone. But I feel very strongly that this book was a waste of time. It’s a mishmash of confused and wandering storytelling, leading the reader through pages of pointless dialogue and events. The lessons learned are watered down, a hodgepodge of meditation and religion roulette, words of wisdom picked from here and there. The teacher figure is enigmatic, and also gifted with supernatural powers – which, besides being kind of distracting to the story, you cannot actually achieve following his methods. I’m not even sure the main character had any sort of meaningful change happen in his life.
If you’re looking for a book on personal improvement, I’d recommend The Success Principles, The Four Agreements, You Are Not Your Brain, Mindfulness Meditation: An Eight Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Psycho Cybernetics. Heck, Forrest Gump is a more inspiring story.
Now, on to the actual recommendations:
- Mixergy – How Clever Entrepreneurs Turned 3 Air Mattresses Into Airbnb
- Really powerful story about MVP, the chicken and egg problem with getting users, and snowballing press coverage
- Mixergy – Seth Godin: How to Produce Like a Linchpin by Understanding Your Lizard Brain
- Be successful by giving things away. Overcome your fear and be creative, every day.
- $100 MBA – How to Pre-sell Your Product (PT 1)
- Before you even launch your new product, pre-sell it. Validates pain and need, gives you early feedback, and helps you define the core value of your product
- Listen Money Matters – Crowd Sourced Real Estate Investing
- Discussion with the founder of Fundrise about how a normal schlub like me can get a real estate portfolio with just a little money
- Gymviral – How to Count Calories for the Lazy
- In addition to calculating TDEE, I’m trying to pre-plan my meals so I know I’ll hit my calorie goals
- Kurt Vonnegut – Kurt Vonnegut graphs the plot of every story [4:36]
- Vonnegut brings his wit and humor to graph the curves of several common plots
- Science Daily – Scientists reverse aging in human cell lines and give theory of aging a new lease of life
- Once again, scientists find a possible cure for aging. We’ll all live forever, maybe.
- The Verge – To Build a Better Language
- Esperanto recently was released on DuoLingo. Time to learn the international language?
- James Altucher – Make the Impossible Possible – The Power of a Space Oddity
- Serial Astronaut Chris Hadfield discusses how he overcame setbacks on his journey to space
Did you listen to any of these? Do you disagree? Leave a comment!