Weekly Media Roundup (May 14-19)
Every week I listen to a huge number of podcasts as I exercise, clean, and drive – and I’d love to share the ones I enjoyed and recommend! Here they are, broken down by general category.
- MenProvement – Mike Matthews: How to Get a Six Pack and Eat Like a Fitness Model
- Weight loss is basic: calories in, calories out. Listen to this again.
- Washington Post – 95 percent of parents think their overweight children look ‘just right’
- Ughhhhh… “Most people don’t understand what it means to be overweight”
- Journl Blog – Give your brain a workout: 7 ways to train your brain
- Besides the obvious, playing first person shooters has brain benefits too
- Mattan Griffel – How to never forget anything ever again
- Use Spaced Repetition to create long term memories. Read this again.
- Listen Money Matters – Getting Schooled on Bonds
- Not the most organized episode, but this seems like a nice primer on the basics of bonds.
- Bigcommerce Engineering – Why the way we look at technical debt is wrong
- “The most important thing is getting the thing to the user”
- Reddit /u/lathe-biosas – My father died at age 82. On his hard drive was a file titled “Lathe-Biosas’ Laws” with advice on life and finance for the family left behind.
- Including such sardonic gems as “Remember the six P’s: Piss poor performance is based on piss poor planning.”
- Zack Holman – Just Don’t Hire 0x Engineers
- Is everyone really a 10x Engineer? It’s setting an unrealistic expectation.
- Nautilus – Top 10 Design Flaws in the Human Body
- Appendix? Not even mentioned.
- Mitch Kirby – Why We Age
- Short answer: evolution doesn’t care about us after we’re done reproducing. Part 1.
- James Altucher – Freakonomics – When to Rob a Bank
- Wide ranging and fascinating discussion about Freakonomics and why it is successful.
- The Moth – Crime and Forgiveness
- Stories about pickpocketing, being a mormon in New York, and getting stabbed
- The Tim Ferriss Show – Noah Kagen: Tools and Tricks from the #30 Employee at Facebook
- This episode is brimming with productivity hacks and personal improvement techniques. Listen to this again.
- Reddit /u/jdarbuckle – Stop Worrying About Being Productive. Just Do One Thing in These Five Categories Every Day For Automatic Improvement and Contentment.
- It’s not about the morning routine or the schedule. It’s about consistent daily improvement. Keep it simple. Read this again.
I would love to hear if there’s anything I’m missing. What have you enjoyed?