Weekly Media Roundup (April 29 – May 6)
I think my mind exploded this week. I drove for hours, backpacked for days, and commuted by bicycle. I hope you find something in here inspires you. I’ve grouped this list into several categories: Health, Financial/Career, Personal Development, and Fun. Here’s what I’ve listened to and read in the last week and recommend:
- Tony Robbins – Awaken The Giant Within
- I’ve held out for a while, but I finally read a Tony Robbins book. Highly recommended. Take massive action and buy it now!
- Don Miguel Ruiz – The Four Agreements
- Achieve personal freedom by following these four super simple rules. Highly recommended.
- James Altucher – The Tim Ferriss Experiment Revealed
- Tim Ferriss discusses his new show, where every week he becomes an expert in something new. The power of meta-learning
- Tim Ferriss – Triple H on Pre-fight Rituals, Injury Avoidance, and Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
- Listen to the WWE superstar talk about his daily routines and avoiding injury as he ages
- The Guardian – Matthew Crawford: ‘Distraction is a kind of obesity of the mind’
- attention is a limited resource, and we need to be better at articulating that fact
- Fast Company – What Happened When We Created Daily Lists of Success
- A good reminder of why it’s important to keep a gratitude or success journal
- Sam Altman – The Days Are Long But the Decades Are Short
- What’s really important in life? What will you miss when the time slips by?
- Lewis Howes – Increase Your Energy, Reverse Disease, and Lose Weight by Eating Plants with Rich Roll
- This guest has a ridiculous story of going from a drive-through window diet to being a serious triathlon athlete
- Listen Money Matters – Recovering From a Burnout
- The Chalene Show – Chubby Kid Mentality
- PRI’s The World – Elevators are kind of a big deal
- Without elevators, would we have skyscrapers?
- TED Talks – Sophie Scott: Why we laugh
- Laughter serves an important function socially – more than we realize.
- In Our Time – The Earth’s Core
- Did you know that magnetic North moves 60 Km per year? Neither did I.
- Freakonomics – Nate Silver Says: “Everyone Is Kind of Weird”
- Fascinating interview with the normal seeming guy who predicts elections and more.
- 99% Invisible – Show of Force
- In WWII, the US had a secret “deception unit”… where everything was fake.
- This American Life – Call for Help
- A family abandons their whole life at sea, a US Senator saves a relationship, and an autistic girl makes a friend
- Pat Cadigan – CODY
- Short story in The Year’s Best Science Fiction (29th Annual). What’s it like to sell your memory?
- The Upshot – An Atlas of Upward Mobility Shows Paths Out of Poverty
- Poor? Have kids? Move somewhere else early to give your kids a leg up.
- This Agile Life – (Scrum Master Anti-Patterns) Anarcho-syndicalist Commune
- The superhero scrum master, the dictator, and more
Note: there’s a lot of meat in here, especially in The Four Agreements and Awaken The Giant Within, as well as Recovering From a Burnout and Distraction is an Obesity of the Mind. My brain is ready to explode. I’m going to try (as hard as I can – hopefully I don’t forget) to go on an information diet. I’ll only read fiction, and only listen to books I’ve read before (including The Success Principles), with the exception of research for this blog or work. Check in with me next week to see if I succeeded!