Weekly Media Roundup (4/15-4/21)
This week I covered a lot of ground (literally – I did a 22 mile backpacking trip) and listened to a lot of podcasts. I tried to cast my net wide and listen to a few things that aren’t in my normal rotation. I hope I can share something interesting with you; I left off anything that didn’t resonate with me.
- Pacific & Standard – What If We Admitted to Children That Sex Is Primarily About Pleasure?
- The horror!
- TED Talks – Paul Tudor Jones II: Why we need to rethink capitalism
- Higher profit margins exacerbate income inequality – but we can fix it by improving companys’ “justness”
- The Memory Palace – Itty Bitty Bombs: Special Platinum Edition
- The US had a backup plan for dropping bombs on Japan in WWII, but it’s not what you think
- In Our Time – Matteo Ricci and the Ming Dynasty
- Europe’s first forays into China, and attempting to Christionize the East
- PRI’s The World – Deep sea robot salvages British treasure from a record depth
- This silver treasure from WWII was recovered from 3 miles deep!
- Ripped Body – Training Effectively – Core Principles
- Back to basics on what makes an effective routine
- The New York Times – The Right Dose of Exercise for a Longer Life
- TL;DR: 150 minutes of activity or more per week, at least 20-30 minutes of that vigorous
- Gravity and Levity – Your body wasn’t built to last: a lesson from human mortality rates
- Your chance of surviving decreases every year you are alive, as if there’s a hard upper limit
- James Altucher – Rich Roll: What Happens When You Turn on Your Inner Addict?
- Fat Burning Man – The Wild Diet: Honor Your Natural Rhythms, Enjoy Real Foods, and Reclaim Your Health
- One sentence for health: avoid processed sugars and wheat
- The Chalene Show – Reverse Dieting Fasted Workouts Intermittent Fasting with Dr. Sara Solomon
- How to get started with IF
- Lewis Howes – Never Ever Give Up
- Highly motivational! Listen to this if you’re experiencing a setback
- TED Radio Hour – Maslow’s Human Needs
- Are you sleeping? Are you Self Actualizing? Are you having Peak Experiences?
- RED – The Value of Rejection With Jia Jiang
- Become unstoppable by becoming rejection proof, and don’t forget to ask why you were turned down
- Stephen King – Everything You Need to Know About Writing Successfully – in Ten Minutes
- The short answer: editing a draft should cut out the bad parts
- a16z – Regulation and the Sharing Economy
- AirBNB & Lyft sit down and discuss how government regulation is slowing down innovation
- Freakonomics – Diamonds Are a Marriage Counselor’s Best Friend
- The Diamond Industry is scamming the American people.
Did I miss anything? Is there anything you think I would enjoy reading, watching, or listening to? Let me know in the comments!